From soot to ceiling stains, smoke in the home can cause immeasurable damage to your property, but perhaps one of the most unpleasant side effects is lingering smoke smells. Discover six tops tips for getting rid of smoke smells in your home.
- Use odour eliminators – Unlike simple domestic fragrances, odour eliminators get rid of smoke smells by eliminating the source of smells rather than just covering them up. As well as getting rid of smoke smells, they can also reduce unwanted fragrances from cooking, pets and spillages.
- Clean rugs and carpets – Soft floor surfaces such as rugs and carpets are the perfect place for smoke particles to set up shop in your home or office, so cleaning them is an effective place to start when trying to get rid of smoke smells. Click here to see our extensive guide on how to clean carpets.
- Install an air purifier – As well as removing smoke particles from the air before they can settle into your soft furnishings, air purifiers can also help tackle dust mites, pet dander, pollen and an array of irritants commonly found in the home. These effective devices come in a range of sizes depending on your needs and can be installed in any room of the home, but are best put to use in communal living areas.
- Wash removable soft furnishings – Much like carpets and rugs, decorative throws, table cloths and even curtains can trap smoke smells in your home. Where possible, put any removable soft furnishings in the washing machine or clean doing a gentle hand wash in a sink or bath – but take care to check the label first as not all fabrics are detergent-friendly. If you are unable to take them away, try renting a steam cleaner or find out you can book one of our expert assistants to do it for you.
- Wash all flat surfaces – It may seem unlikely, but even flat surfaces such as walls, ceilings, mirrors and glass can retain smoke particles resulting in unpleasant, lingering smoke smells. Take the time to wash all walls and ceilings using warm water and odour eliminating cleaning products.
- Book a deep clean with Remora – If you’re not sure which are the right products for your home, or don’t have the time to tackle smoke smells on your own, find out how Remora can assist with their deep cleaning service.
Interested in our eco-friendly cleaning products? Click here
Considering an end of tenancy clean but not sure what it entails? Click here to find out more.
Remora is a London-based cleaning and property services company, offering the highest levels of customer service and flexibility across our range of services. Find out more about what we can do for your property here.